Monday, June 15, 2009

June 15, 2009

So much as happened since I last posted; I KNOW I am really bad about keeping this updated as many of you have gently reminded me!

But, as my excuse is always the same....life is busy....this post, too, will be brief.

Khloe's appt on May 21st went very well. The meds she is on for her heart showed they were supporting it in normal ranges...yahoo! All her limitations were lifted for 2 months so it could be determined if her heart could maintain the normal ranges with normal, 13 yr old girl activities. So from that date until June 8th she did rally well, only tiring out more than a healthy young girl would, but no other consequences. The week before June 8th I was diagnosed with the Flu A virus and obviously quarantined from Khloe, but she started having symptoms that Monday and then on Tuesday her cardiologist asked us to bring her in for an echo as she was starting to have more irregular beat patterns because of feeling ill. As we were getting ready to leave Khloe passed out, came to, then passed out again (much longer version available when I have time to explain). We had to call 911 and they transported us to PCMC where we have been ever since. Khloe's heart was not causing all this, the flu and a Scleroderma flare-up have been determined to be the culprits, but they caused her heart to be in distress. Now, six and a half days later, her heart is back under control, the flu has run it's course and the Scleroderma is beginning to clam down the swelling in her muscles, yet she has developed some vomiting in the last two days that is currently unexplained and keeps causing her GJ feeding tube to come dislodged; it has already been replaced yesterday and now will need to be again after the vomiting stops. We, Khloe and I, get to go home as soon as all this new stuff is resolved, we hope by tomorrow.

Meanwhile, during this time here with Khloe, we also received the sad news that Larry's father passed away on Wednesday the 10th of June. Larry was very torn between being here with Khloe and needing to be with his Mom; he flew out on Thursday morning to Washington after being as reassured as possible by me, and Khloe's drs. He will be with his mom through this next Thursday the 18th which is the day of the funeral in Spokane. We, Khloe and I, hear from him at least three times a day, and the kids at home do, too.

At Khloe's last appt on May 21st she was scheduled for a Stress MRI on July 15th. The plan was for her to do normal activities until then, then do the test which requires the drs to give her medicine that would cause her heart to go into distress, then do the MRI to determine the extent of the damage caused by the Scleroderma. Now the drs are not sure we will stay on that time-line feeling that her heart may need more recovery time after this last bout. I will let you all know when we do. For now I have to end this and get back to her room.

Thanks to everyone who is helping us out, especially with Larry and I both gone from home.

4 comments:

  1. Kathy...when I saw the flashing lights I was really hoping that it was the "Test" that you were talking about and was really sad to find out that it wasn't....I was also so sad to hear about Larry's father...It is really hard to know what to do, but I have told Karissa and please know that I am here and willing to help you guys in any way, so PLEASE call me or let me know if you need ANYTHING or if there is ANYTHING I can do!!! We love you and are praying for your family...Khloe is a stong young lady and I am glad to hear that she is improving and that you will be home soon...take care and give Khloe our love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi (and family), Just to let you know that you are thought of often and kept in many prayers. Your pool friends miss having you with us and understand that you are where you need to be. Khloe is an amazing young woman to go through all these many health challenges. Many prayers also to Larry and all of you for losing your dad/grandpa. Hold on to the iron rod and may Heavenly Father's blessings of comfort and strength be with your family! Love, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi and Larry, Sorry to hear about the news of your dad's passing. We think about you guys often an of course wish the best for you. One day Kathi, you may return home from the hospital to see that we finally have our yard finished. I'm sure that will put a smile on your face, as I'm sure I'm probably bring down everybody's property values...haha. Its all about priorities and those have been with Disneyland. Now that that trip is over, I feel a 'void' in my life....so we are planting grass quick and then planning our next trip!! Tell Khloe we all said hi. Best wishes to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Khloe and Larry's Dad. I actually heard from Dawn.
    It's sure good that you've raised such capable, responsible and mature children because I know this is all hard on them and they're having to hold down the fort.
    I hope you're all home soon and "normal" life resumes.
    We miss you all and need to come see you now that everyone's out of school.

    ReplyDelete